Bihar Property Tax
The Municipal Corporation in Bihar imposes property tax on properties or real estate based on their value. Individuals who own properties within the state are required to pay this tax to the Municipal Corporation that is governed by the Urban Development and Housing Department of Bihar. The amount of property tax levied on a property differs among states. This article provides comprehensive information on Bihar property tax.
Uses of Property Tax
Municipal Corporations in India primarily rely on property tax as a source of revenue. This tax is levied on all properties including residential, commercial, and industrial ones that fall under the Municipal Corporation’s jurisdiction. It is mandatory for property owners to pay this tax every financial year, on the same month. Additionally, property owners are required to file their return on the same day.
The individuals who are allowed to pay property tax in the state of Bihar are as follows.
- An individual who has surpassed the age of 18 years.
- Any individual who resides permanently in the state of Bihar.
- Those who possess any property within the state of Bihar are obligated to pay a tax on said property.
Exemption on Property Tax
The individuals who are not required to pay property tax according to section 136 are named as follows:
- The Devasthan Department of the State Government is responsible for upkeeping the land or property.
- Any location or premises utilized for communal religious or communal utility.
- Land reserved for the purposes related to the management of deceased remains.
- The land being used by an educational institution only for the purpose of educating.
- Real estate used to support the establishment of communal recreational areas, public resource centers or cultural institutions.
Prior to paying property tax, the individual who is liable for taxation is accountable for enrolling their property through submitting the form for property enrollment and providing that specific form with necessary documentation to the relevant body of the Municipal Corporation.
When paying property tax, the individual applying must provide specific information pertaining to the property tax invoice.
The process for making a payment for Bihar Property Tax is detailed below.
If you wish to pay for your property tax electronically in Bihar, simply adhere to the instructions provided below.
Step 1: Kindly visit the official website The Bihar Government’s Department of Urban Development and Housing.
The second step is to go to the Tax and Revenue section and select the block labeled “Self Assessment and Payment of Property Tax.”
In the third step, the screen for citizens to log in will appear. The person applying must choose their municipality and input their user identification and password, then press the “Submit” button.
Next, go through the presented terms and conditions before selecting the checkbox to approve them for submitting your property tax return.
Fifth step: Select the tab that says “Click here to submit a self-evaluation application.”
In the sixth step, you can decide whether to opt for a modification in the evaluation or keep it unchanged.
For change in Assessment
The seventh step is to choose the option for modifying or revising the assessment.
In order to complete Step 8, you will need to input three pieces of information: your Property number, your mobile phone number, and the One-Time Password (OTP) that was sent to your registered mobile phone number.
In step nine, upon confirmation of verification, the system will present you with two choices to choose from.
- Change in Contact Details
- Change in Holding Details.
Step 10 requires selecting one of the suitable choices and then pressing the “Submit” button.
For change in Contact Details
In order to proceed, select the “In Correspondence Address Details” option located within the address details section by clicking on it.
- Next, the person applying should input the necessary information in the designated areas.
- In the field for correspondence address details, provide the necessary information regarding the property address.
- Insert the specific property number into the designated property number section.
- Put the information for the first line of the address in the designated field for the first address line.
- Input the relevant information for address line 2 in the designated address line 2 section.
- Insert the pin code within the designated pin code section.
To complete Step 12, go to the section marked “Contact details of property owner” and fill in the necessary information in the provided fields.
To save any edits made to your contact information, submit your telephone number, cell phone number, and email address by clicking the “Submit” button.
The message indicating the successful implementation of changes in the Change Assessment will be shown.
For change in Holding Details
In step 13, you need to choose the Change in Holding Details option. You will be presented with three different options to choose from, including Addition, Alterations, and Partial Demolish. Select the option that is suitable for your needs and click on the “Submit” button.
If you have chosen the Addition option to make changes to the Holding Detail, follow the steps below:
In order to complete step 14, select the box next to extra choices listed in the section for altering your account information, and then press the “Submit” button.
In Step 15, complete the information pertaining to land or building details.
- Choose the location of the property based on the road it is situated on, from the available options such as the main thoroughfare, major road, or alternate road.
- Provide the measurement of the land or plot area in square feet where the property is built.
- Please provide the constructed area of the property. It is anticipated that the user will enter the property’s built-up area.
- You must select or deselect this choice based on whether or not the property has the capability for rainwater harvesting.
- Choose an available option for connecting your property to the water source.
- When you select the “Add” button, the system will create a new row specifically for recording any extra construction details related to the property during the present fiscal year.
- The system will generate data based on the information chosen by the applicant, which can be modified by the applicant.
Proceed to the next step by clicking the “Next” button after entering the aforementioned details.
In step 17, the system will request payment and users can choose to pay online, in person at a ULB counter, or through offline means.
In Step 18, the user has the option to modify the amount they need to pay by choosing the “Other Amount” option, and then typing in the desired amount using the designated text box.
Once you have chosen your payment method, the system will notify you that your modifications to the evaluation have been successfully submitted. Click on the “Proceed” button to finalize the procedure.
In accordance with the options you previously chose, the system will lead you through the payment process in Step 20.
Once payment has been successfully processed, alterations will be implemented to the information on your property.
To alter holding information after selecting Partial Demolish option, proceed according to the steps given below:
- Tick the box next to Partial Demolition choices given in the Change in Holding Details section and press the Submit button.
- Provide the necessary information for either the land or the building in the specified fields.
- Choose the location of the property according to the type of road it is situated on, among the options provided such as a major thoroughfare, a primary road, or a different type of road.
- Provide the measurement in square feet of the plot/land where the property has been built.
- Please input the constructed area of the property. It is anticipated that the user will provide the property’s built-up area.
- You must either select or deselect this choice based on whether or not the property has the capability for collecting rainwater.
- Choose a water connection option based on the availability of facilities for the property.
- The system will automatically compute the data based on the information chosen by the applicant, but the applicant has the option to make changes.
Once you have provided all the necessary information, proceed by clicking on the button labeled “Next”.
Step number twenty-three entails requesting payment from the customer. The payment methods that are at your disposal include online payment, offline payment, as well as paying at the ULB counter.
In Step 24, the individual has the option to modify the amount owed by choosing the “Other Amount” selection and typing in the desired sum in the designated field.
Once you have chosen your payment method, the system will notify you that any adjustments or modifications made to the assessment have been successfully submitted.
To finish the procedure, click on the button labeled “Proceed” at Step 26.
In step 27, you will be taken to the payment procedure based on the preferences you chose earlier.
Once the payment process is completed successfully, modifications will be applied to the information regarding your property.
Submit No changes in Assessment
To make changes to your holding information, simply follow the steps outlined below.
- Choose the “No Change in Assessment” alternative.
- Provide your Property Number and select the Submit button. Once you have clicked on Submit, the system will exhibit all the past property-related data of users, but only in View mode. The user will be unable to modify any details. The system will present information such as Owner Details, Address Details, Correspondence Address Details, Contact Details of Property Owner, Land Building Details, and Tax Calculations.
- The Total payable amount can be modified by the user if they choose the Other Amount alternative and input the preferred amount into the designated text box.
- The payment system will prompt for payment and give various choices such as paying online, offline or in-person at the ULB counter.
- The payment process will start based on the options you have chosen and you will be directed accordingly.
- Your property data will undergo modifications once the payment process has been finalized.
Make Online Payment
The steps provided to enable the payment of property tax online are as follows:
To begin the process, fill in the relevant details in the Change in Assessment or No Change in Assessment Application form. Then, choose the Online option in the Payment Mode section and hit the “Submit” button.
To proceed with the payment, fill in the Payee’s Name and Mobile Number. The Email Id will be automatically filled in. Choose the Bank name and if you want to delete the information entered, click on “Reset”.
Step three involves clicking on the Pay button to continue and then selecting a preferred method of payment.
For the fourth step, choose the type of card and input the card number and cardholder’s name that matches what is written on the card.
Complete step five by providing the CVV number located on the back of the card, which is a three-digit number, and selecting the expiration date of the card.
If you wish to cancel the payment procedure, you can opt for the cancellation by clicking on the Cancel button.
To move forward with payment, click on Pay Now. Alternatively, if you want to stop the process of payment at the final stage, click on Cancel.
The person who has applied will be notified by text message and email when their payment has been successfully processed.
Offline Payment Procedure
The designated measures have been outlined to pay property taxes through non-digital means.
Provide the necessary details on the form for Alteration in Evaluation or for No Alteration in the Evaluation.
Choose the option “Offline” in the payment mode selection section.
Secondly, choose one of the payment methods available which include paying via Challan at ULB, Challan at Bank or paying at ULB Counter. If you opt to pay via Challan at Bank, then you will need to choose the specific Bank Name.
Instructions: The given paragraph should be rephrased in English language.
The provided statement can be rephrased as:
The list of banks available for users to visit and make payments can be found in the drop-down menu. The decision of which bank to use is determined by the Corporation, Council, or Panchayat.
In the third step, once you have clicked the Submit button, you will be taken to a screen where you can view your payment details.
Step number four involves clicking the button that says “Print Challan” in order to obtain a printed version of the Challan.
In the fifth step, the system will create a Challan in a separate tab of your browser.
Step 6 involves printing out the Challan and taking it to either your Corporation, Council, Panchayat or Bank to complete the payment process.
To make a payment via Challan at ULB, the Applicant must first pay in cash or by check/demand draft/pay order. Afterwards, they must go to the designated counters of the Corporation/Council/Panchayat to pay or deposit their check/demand draft/pay order.
To make a payment through Pay at ULB, the applicant must pay by cash, cheque, demand draft, or postal order. After this, they need to deposit the cheque, demand draft, or postal order at designated counters of the Corporation, Council, or Panchayat.
Step 9: The hard copies of the scanned documents should be submitted at the specified counters of Corporation/Council/Panchayat.